Friday 13 December 2013

My Lipstick Collection: Lavenders, Lilacs and Orchids

I have been an avid lipstick collector for some time now, and have what can only be described as a gargantuan collection. I have trouble remembering which exact shades I have, so I've decided to catalog them for both my pleasure, and hopefully yours! Lipstick lovers like myself love seeing swatches: it personally helps me decide on whether I actually need  or want a particular shade of lipstick. I hope you find this in some way useful!

Yesterday, I posted about Radiant Orchid being the 2014 Pantone Color of the Year, and I predicted that orchid and its neighboring shades would be big in the coming months. Well, in truth, orchid, lilac and lavender colored lipsticks have been pretty big in 2013. All of the lipsticks and lipglosses in this post have been released in this year alone. Take a look!




Such gorgeous colors! I can't believe I haven't already worn most of these. I tend to buy lipsticks, and think to myself 'I can't wear them until I've photographed them,' but unfortunately time and my two year old don't always afford me that luxury! Anyway. onto the good stuff!


MAC Viva Glam Nicki 2 


MAC Lavender Whip


MAC RiRi Boy


 Maybelline Violet Intrigue


Maybelline Brazen Berry

MAC Viva Glam Nicki 2 is a cool toned pastel lavender, with an Amplified finish. Amplified is probably one of my favorite MAC finishes, as they tend to be more opaque than others, and have a nice sheen to them. MAC Lavender Whip is a cool lavender with a pink undercurrent to it. In my eyes, it borders on being a mauve shade. This has a Cremesheen finish. MAC RiRi Boy is a bright, berried lavender; (if that makes sense!) it has a pink undertone and has a Retro Matte finish. Maybelline Violet Intrigue is a glossy, brightened cool lavender, again which has pink undertone. Maybelline Brazen Berry is a berry pink lipstick, more pink than purple. To me, it is a purpled fuchsia pink. 


Top to Bottom: MAC Narcissus Cremesheen Glass, Maybelline Lavender Lavish ColorSensational lipgloss, MAC Viva Glam Nicki 2 Lipglass

MAC Narcissus Cremesheen Glass is a mid-tone purpled magenta. I love this lipgloss, as over the course of wearing it, it turns more of a pink color. When I first had it, I used to top it up like crazy, now I'm happy with the way that it wears. I've been meaning to layer it over Heroine lipliner, to bring out the purple a bit more! Maybelline Lavender Lavish ColorSensational lipgloss is a brightened orchid pink gloss. MAC Viva Glam Nicki 2 lipglass, is slightly different to its lipstick counterpart. Its more of a greyed mauve color, rather than a true lavender.


Left to Right:- MAC Narcissus, MAC Viva Glam Nicki 2 (lipgloss), Maybelline Lavender Lavish, MAC Viva Glam Nicki 2 (lipstick), MAC Lavender Whip, MAC RiRi Boy, Maybelline Brazen Berry, Maybelline Violet Intrigue.

Today I wanted to create a lip look that was as close to the Pantone Radiant Orchid shade. I picked Maybelline Lavender Lavish, and layered it over MAC Fashion Boost Pro Longwear lip pencil. 




I will admit, this did look slightly more purple in real life. There is something about purples that makes my camera literally throw a hissy fit at me. That said, all my swatches and descriptions are as accurate as can possibly be to what the product looks like in reality. All swatches and pictures are taken in natural sunlight, which I beleive gives the best representation of any makeup product. 

So, the next batch of reviews will be my purple lipsticks. I don't know about you guys, but I'm (im)patiently waiting for MAC's Punk Couture collection at the end of this month, and wearing purple lipstick everyday is the only way I can satisfy my lust for the Punk Couture lipsticks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment